Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Some Days We’re All in the Same Boat


A couple weeks ago my Beloved and I met our Older Son and his Lovely Girlfriend at a food truck event for dinner.  Sadly, the trucks ran out of food causing us to scramble to find another place to eat.  Because we had not only my hearing dog with us but Lovely Girlfriend’s darling pet dog, we opted for a local pub where the patio allows non-working canine friends.

Despite the lively conversations around us, I was able to keep up within our group of four (Lovely Girlfriend speaks loudly and clearly and faces me!) and we had a great time.

Then the skies opened and the rain poured down forcing us to grab our dinners and our dogs and head inside, a place normally off limits to pets.  We found a table and settled in, waiting until the rain slowed enough that we could leave.  It took a while!

In the meantime the population of the bar doubled with more and more people arriving every few minutes.  The music overhead was loud rock from the 90s and it wasn’t long before my brain decided to stop processing sound.  I was on complete aural overload.

My Beloved sensed my predicament and shouted, “Turn your hearing aids off!”  I did, and enjoyed the dimming of the din.  Of course this meant I could no longer hear the conversation, but Beloved interpreted using the limited ASL we know.  Soon even that was exhausting.

The rain eventually slowed and we four humans and two pups made our way outside.  Older Son gave me a hug and said, “You know, none of us could hear in there.  The noise hurt our ears, too.  It wasn’t just you, so don’t feel bad.”

He was right; we were all in the same boat.  The bar was a great equalizer.  Sometimes I forget that I’m not the only one in the group who misses words, misunderstands conversation, or has trouble hearing in loud noise.  Sometimes we’re all the same.
B. Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment