Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy Birthday ADA!

July 26, 2012 was the twenty-second anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Every day I am grateful for the disability activists who worked so hard to convince senators and representatives to write legislation creating and protecting rights for people with disabilities.

Every day I am thankful for the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, Section 508, FCC captioning rules, the Air Carrier Access Act and the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act.

I love being able to watch captioned television.  Captioned movies both in the theater and on my DVD player are delightful and allow me to enjoy entertainment with family and friends.

It is great that when I am in a meeting or attending a lecture or public program, I can have the services of a captionist to ensure I do not miss any nugget of wisdom.

ADA gave me the ability to have my hearing dog with me wherever I go: work, restaurants, theaters, museums, doctors’ offices…virtually anywhere.  The Air Carrier Access Act gives me the OK to have Terrific Dog with me on airplanes.

Thanks to the ADA and other Federal rules, people with hearing loss and other disabilities can function better in all aspects of life in the United States.


No comments:

Post a Comment